What goes down... sometimes comes back up, but sometimes has to come out another way!

Google Maps location for Frankston Heights Veterinary Centre

Frankston Heights Veterinary Centre
231 Frankston-Flinders Rd
Frankston
VIC 3199

Phone:
03 5971 4888
Fax:
03 5971 4887

Like all of the very best school assignments, this post is being written the night before it is due.

And, like some of the very best school assignments (the ones that didn’t make it), I’m going to say that the dog ate it. Well, the dog and the cat.

 

This month, we have removed various things from our patients. And that got me thinking about stuff that’s around the house that can cause problems to our pets.

The first buried treasure was a fish-hook.

One of our patients got into his Dad’s fishing tackle while following the scent of the bait. The problem was that this time, the bait bit back: one of the pieces of bait still had a hook in it, which ended up stabbing through the dog's lip. Now, some fishing hooks have barbs, which mean that once they have punctured the skin of the fish, they can’t be pulled back out.  Which is great when you’re fishing for fish, but not when you’re fishing for dog.

It’s taking all my will-power to not make a joke about dogfish!

Anyway, we gave some sedation, and then the fish-hook was pushed through to release the barb. The barb was cut off, and then the remains of the hook withdrawn.

The second buried treasure was a kebab stick.

Gus is an 11 month old Cairn Terrier, who stole a chicken kebab from the kitchen at home.

Who could blame him? I love chicken kebabs!

Gus then disappeared to eat his ill-gotten gains, but didn’t come home for 4 days. Gus was eventually found under the deck, which his family ripped up to get him out. He was brought straight into the clinic, and had surgery to remove the remains of the kebab stick. Amazingly, the point of the stick had punctured the wall of the stomach, and embedded itself into Gus’s abdominal muscles. Gus has since made a full recovery.

The third buried treasure was more of a puzzle.

Floss is a 6 year old cat who has developed a fascination with rubber bands and hair-elastics. She came into the clinic after vomiting up a small amount of rubber band. We anaesthetised Floss, and managed to remove the offending piece of rubber-band using our video-endoscope.

Quite why Floss has developed her unusual appetite is a bit of a mystery, but she has also been caught eating hair-elastics.

Fortunately, the hair-elastics have all come up on their own so far...

And the final treasure was a set of birthday candles and some ribbon.

Pippa couldn’t help herself, and vacuumed up both the candles and the ribbon from a birthday cake. Fortunately, Pippa’s family saw it happen and came straight into the clinic. We gave Pippa something to make her vomit, and out came both the ribbon and candles.

 

Christmas is on the way, and that means lots of yummy things to eat. Most of us over-indulge during the Christmas period, but please be careful that your pets don’t!

Turkey bones and cooked ham-bones will be too much for your pets to resist, and are perfect for getting stuck.

Cats will be intrigued by ribbons, tinsel, sticky-tape and string, and they can all cause really very nasty bowel obstructions.

Beware of small toys and gifts too; lego, toy-soldiers, batteries, hairclips, beads... You’d be amazed what an animal will chew on!

Onions, garlic and leeks, grapes, chocolate and macadamia nuts are all dangerous too. They won’t necessarily cause a blockage, but they can still make our pets very unwell.

And, it goes without saying, that if you have any worries, then you should call us on 59714888.

A false alarm is always better than a disaster!


Post your comment

Comments

No one has commented on this page yet.

RSS feed for comments on this page | RSS feed for all comments

Recent Blogs

Beach Bodies

>> Read more

Something to get your teeth into

>> Read more

The Heart of the Matter

>> Read more